St. Peter's Episcopal Church
Washington, North Carolina
Year of Commission 2006
The organ is located in an existing organ chamber to the right of the altar. The organ chamber has two openings; one faces the congregation and the other housing the Octave Bass 8' is facing to the altar side. The organ casework is made of walnut with the keydesk attached. Douglas Cutler, Organist & Choirmaster.
Established in 1822, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church has played an important part in diocesan and community life. The church facility sits at the corner of Main and Bonner.
In its formative years, St. Peter’s used the “free church” along with the Methodists, Presbyterians, and Baptists. In 1824 St. Peter’s erected a frame church on the grounds facing Main Street. That church burned in 1864 (as an indirect result of Union occupation of Washington). From that church, the crystal chandelier, the baptismal font, and several side chairs survive.
The present church, a Gothic Revival, brick building with lancet windows dominated by an off-center, 4-stage tower, was begun in 1867 and completed in 1873. It was laid out to face the east. Bishop Thomas Atkinson consecrated the church in December, 1875.
St. Peter’s sits in a historic churchyard bordered by stately oaks and marked by plantings of rare trees. The sanctuary, chapel, parish hall, day school, and offices occupy the church building. In the churchyard is the grave of Col. James Bonner, founder of the town of Washington. The outdoor chapel and herb garden offer a place for quiet contemplation and meditation. The walls of this outdoor chapel hold tablets naming those whose ashes have been buried in the churchyard.
23 stops | 24 ranks | 3 extensions
Mechanical key action | Electric stop action